Welcome to 'Harvey Jones Expert Q&A'. A series of blogs to highlight our expert designers, their passion for interiors and tips for designing the kitchen and beyond.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself and what you do.
My name is Destiny and I am a Senior Kitchen Designer at Harvey Jones. I have been working within the kitchen industry for nine years, six of which at Harvey Jones. I have a wealth of knowledge behind me because I love every part of what I do!
2. What is your design mantra?
“Design a practical kitchen and then add the wow factor.”
3. What is your kitchen like at home?
Mine is a newly-installed kitchen so it’s not the typical style I would usually go for. For me, it’s important to appreciate different styles; I didn’t have a choice in changing my kitchen, so I’ve learned to love it. It proves you can always work with what you have.
4. What inspires your work? Where do you go for inspiration?
As a designer, being in the-know is very important so I’m always following current trends from various sources. I always ensure I keep up with competitors because it gives my clients a researched and valued service.
5. What are your first considerations when designing a new kitchen?
Firstly, you should always consider whether you have all the components you require. Do you have enough storage? Examine the space you’re working with; would it work with your preferred style? Is it a well-balanced design and, of course, does it look good?
6. What projects have you found the most rewarding and why?
I recently had one of my designs featured in Kitchens Bedrooms and Bathrooms magazine. Just seeing my name printed was such a reward for me personally, especially because this wasn’t a regular project; I had been working with the client on this kitchen for two years. There was so much planning and inspiration involved, so making the time for them was important to me. Also, they were so lovely to work with, which always helps! All the planning really did pay off in the end and it was justified in the final piece.
7. What do you try to avoid?
I find it frustrating when the ‘wow factor’ becomes more important than practicality – you must ensure the layout is perfect before you start considering the final flourishes. You know the design is right when you’re looking at the kitchen as a whole, rather than focusing on individual parts.
8. How has kitchen design changed over the last five years?
Kitchen design has become much more refined and sleek. Greys are dying out and bolder colours are creeping in. Customers are also becoming more open with kitchen layouts. I have noticed that more consumers are requesting a symmetrical kitchen, which is simply unrealistic. I think this due to the rise in architectural inspiration filtering down from larger projects.
9. What kitchen trends do you predict in 2018?
Dark shades are definitely here to stay and will be around for years to come – like the popularity of grey. Marble and deeper veining in worktops is becoming more popular. Worktops are also starting to continue onto splash backs, especially with darker marble and granite designs.
10. Do you have any tips for homeowners embarking on a new kitchen project?
Go out there see what style you like; a kitchen should last a lifetime, so you must bear this in mind. Really consider the durability and quality you’re getting for your money and find a designer that understands your needs!
Ready to start designing? Visit your nearest Harvey Jones showroom to discuss your plans with one of our expert designers. Find a showroom here.
- Top Tips
- Be bold and experiment with bright colours - a trend that is creeping in this year!
- Consider the core structure of the design before adding luxury into the mix.
- Keep durability and quality in mind when researching and drawing up plans for your kitchen design.