This week we invited Leisha, from our Winchester showroom, to take part in our new series - 'Harvey Jones Expert Q&A'.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself and what you do.
My name is Leisha and I have been a kitchen designer at Harvey Jones for nearly six years. I live, eat and breathe design. When I am not at work designing and managing client’s kitchen projects, I am working on private commissions and renovating my own home.
2. What is your design mantra?
A quote I came across when I was at university, studying interior design, which has stuck with me ever since; “Logic will get you from A-B. Imagination will take you everywhere” (Albert Einstein).
3. What is your kitchen like at home?
My kitchen is a bright and colourful Shaker, with warm oak worktops and antique oak floors. It has an eight-seater table directly behind the L-shape kitchen, which makes it ideal for socialising. It’s perfect for me because we love entertaining.
4. What inspires your work? Where do you go for inspiration?
Inspiration can be found everywhere, from colour combinations in my wardrobe to the key seasonal interior trends. I like to get out and visit as many design exhibitions as possible, as well as making use of other sources to keep up to date with current trends.
5. What are your first considerations when designing a new kitchen?
I like to get a good understanding of how my clients plan to use the space. First and foremost, it is important to consider what type of appliances they want to incorporate, because this will become skeleton of the space. Once these elements have been taken into consideration, you can start drafting a design that works.
6. What projects have you found the most rewarding and why?
Every project is rewarding because I get to see them from the initial hand-drawn plan all the way through to a completely fitted and painted kitchen. I love it! I get a buzz when kitchens I have designed are featured in magazines.
7. What do you try to avoid?
Nothing is impossible, there is always a solution. It might just need some extra thought during the process.
8. How has kitchen design changed over the last five years?
Consumers are opting to open up their downstairs space and create an open-plan kitchen/dining area. With our ever-increasing workloads time is precious, so it’s important to have an area where everyone can come together.
9. What kitchen trends do you predict in 2018?
More of us are choosing dark tones such as greens, blues and purples. Grey is a safe colour to go for and will never tire, however it is good to get out of your colour comfort zone. Texture is key in a kitchen, so consider matt honed granite and quartz worktops to give depth, instead of a more polished finish.
10. Do you have any tips for homeowners embarking on a new kitchen project?
The question you need to ask yourself is; do I want something that is built to last or is it just a short-term fix? Remember preparation is key! The sooner you have a designer onboard, the easier your life will be. The project can be guided and broken down into manageable chunks, so it doesn’t feel overwhelming.
Browse our case study page to see more about the Linear kitchen designed by Leisha. Alternatively, request a copy of our brochure here for more kitchen inspiration.
Our expert designers hold a wealth of knowledge to help you progress with your project. Call 0800 389 6938 or visit your local Harvey Jones showroom.
- Top Tips
- Experimenting with texture and colour helps to create a bespoke kitchen design
- Consider the layout of your kitchen and whether you want to opt for an open-plan space
- Preparation is key! Use the knowledge and expertise of your designer to achieve a well thought out design that can be customised at a later stage